Inspector’s bicycle, 1956
Accession number: 2006-0150 (not currently available on the online catalogue)
This bicycle was probably used by a Post Office manager or inspector. We can tell this because it is black. The usual delivery cycles were always red. It was produced by Tyseley in 1929, to the standard Post Office design.
The initials GPO (General Post Office) can be seen worked into the design of the chain wheel – a feature that started in the early-1930s.
Inspectors' bicycles like this were used until the mid-1980s when they were phased out and replaced by motor vehicles.